Billy Thorpe Scholarship opens for musicians
Emerging Queensland musicians have been urged to apply for the annual $10,000 Billy Thorpe Scholarship and take the next step in their careers.
Arts Minister Ian Walker said the scholarship, named in honour of the late Billy Thorpe, was for musicians at the start of a promising contemporary music career.
“The Billy Thorpe Scholarship offers career guidance and the opportunity to record with a local producer along with a cash component,” Mr Walker said.
“We want contemporary musicians who are ready to take the next step in shaping their future on a professional career path.”
Mr Walker said the scholarship would help musicians follow in Thorpe’s footsteps. The singer spent his formative years in Brisbane, leaving an enormous legacy to the Australian rock music scene in more than five decades of performing, writing and producing.
Past winners include Astrid and the Asteroids (2012), Sam Hales (2011), Andrew Redford (2010), Alan Boyle (2009) and Michael Gavriel (2008).
The scholarship will be delivered by QMusic, Queensland’s key music industry organisation.
QMusic Executive Officer Denise Foley said The Billy Thorpe Scholarship has had a great impact on the artists who have won previously.
“Andrew Redford was named the winner of the Telstra Road to Discovery Performer, while Sam Hales will release his new Jungle Giants album this year,” Ms Foley said.
“The Billy Thorpe Scholarship gives artists the opportunity to develop their craft and lay foundations for future success. We look forward to seeing what talent is unearthed this year.”
Mr Walker said the Newman Government supported Queensland contemporary music through the Billy Thorpe Scholarship, the $25,000 annual Grant McLennan Memorial Fellowship (closing 28 June) and funding to QMusic and BIGSOUND, the signature industry event which is a national platform for contemporary music.
Applications are open now and close on 22 July 2013 with winners to be announced in October. For more information and guidelines go to www.arts.qld.gov.au
Australia Post - Our Neighbourhood Community Grant
Australia Post recently launched its new Community program - Our Neighbourhood with the announcement of a national grants program.
Grants of between $1000 and $25,000 are available for registered charities and community organisations to support their local projects.
Australia Post is calling for organisations to submit their applications for an Our Neighbourhood Community Grant before the closing date of Friday 28 June, 2013.
Grants will be awarded to organisations with projects that help connect communities and foster inclusion across Australian neighbourhoods.
Australia Post plays an essential role in connecting Australian neighbourhoods and understands the importance of investing at a grass roots level.
"We want to provide people with the financial support, tools and resources that will assist them in building healthier, more vibrant and inclusive communities. These grants are just one initiative of a broader plan to further support Australian neighbourhoods and get them to connect with each other" said Mr Ahmed Fahour, Australia Post Managing Director and CEO.
The Our Neighbourhood program provides opportunities for people from varying backgrounds and communities. With a focus on local, it will also extend to regional and remote, the disadvantaged, culturally diverse individuals and communities and small business.
The Our Neighbourhood Community Grants applications are now open and will close on Friday, 28 June 2013 at 5pm (AEST).
To apply for an Our Neighbourhood Community Grant, visit http://auspost.com.au/about-us/grant-applications-closing.htmlor pick up an Application Kit at any Australia Post retail outlet.
Rex works delayed
The Riverside Expressway maintenance works scheduled for later this month have been postponed.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the works had been due to close the northbound lanes near Margaret St from June 28 to July 1.
“The expressway was closed overnight on Friday, May 24 to prepare for a full weekend lift of an entire span,” Mr Emerson said.
“During this lift, we discovered some corrosion to one of the jacks and have subsequently scheduled maintenance checks on all of our jacks, which means a delay in the work.
“The Riverside Expressway is still safe to use and we’ll keep motorists updated on future works.”
The maintenance work on the 40-year-old motorway includes replacing pot-bearings which sit under the deck and allow movement during changes in temperature and traffic.
For up to date traffic and travel information, visit www.131940.qld.gov.au or call the Transport and Main Roads Traffic Report Line on 131940.
Panel to review ‘one-metre’ rule for bikes
Budget delivers for Indooroopilly
Education and disability services are the big winners for Indooroopilly after the Newman Government 2013-14 budget was handed down this week.
Member for Indooroopilly Scott Emerson said education would receive a boost of more than $15 million through funding grants.
“I am pleased to see a number of schools in my electorate receive vital grants out of this budget that will assist to upgrade their facilities including the construction of additional classrooms,” Mr Emerson said.
“In 2013-2014 Graceville State School will receive $2.43 million, Indooroopilly State High School will receive $1.969 million and Ironside State School will receive $910,000 in funding.
“The University of Queensland will benefit from funding grants in excess of $10 million to support the Institute for Molecular Bioscience, Geothermal Centre of Excellence and Centre for Clinical Research.”
Mr Emerson said disability services would also receive a boost to assist in covering costs such as disability accommodation, respite and community care programs.
“Grants for disability services will receive a boost of more than $10 million, along with an additional $282,000 grant for Indooroopilly,” he said.
“These grants will assist in funding social inclusion services including domestic and family violence prevention, homelessness, seniors’ participation and youth support.”
Community sporting clubs will also get a leg up from the budget with Get Playing grants as part of the Get in the Game initiative.
“Our local rugby league and netball teams will be well supported throughout their seasons with nearly $20,000 to be spent on upgrades to facilities at Bert Street Clair Oval and Faulkner Park in Graceville,” Mr Emerson said.
Other wins for Indooroopilly include easing the cost of living through the continuation of the free travel after nine journeys on public transport initiative, and the move to halve Labor’s planned fare hikes from 15 per cent to 7.5 per cent for 2013 and 2014.
“Under our policies, regular passengers travelling zone 2 would have saved $375 or $445 for those travelling three zones, by the end of 2014.”
As part of the Newman Government’s ongoing commitment to enhance safety in school zones, flashing school lights are planned to be installed at Ironside State School and Sherwood State School.
Budget boost for Bruce Highway
The 2013-14 Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program (QTRIP) will deliver a record $690 million for the Bruce Highway as part of the on-going effort to improve the 1,700 kilometre lifeline.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the Newman Government had increased its contribution to the Bruce Highway to $153 million – or 22 per cent of funding for this federal road.
“We are continuing to lift our commitment to the Bruce Highway, to now fund almost one-quarter of this federal road,” Mr Emerson said.
“Now it’s up to the Federal Government to ensure they keep growing their funding.
“The Budget will also deliver an additional $340 million over the next four years, as part of our promise for an additional $1 billion over 10 years to bring the Bruce Highway up to a satisfactory standard.
“This will ensure we can continue to deliver more capacity, boost safety and improve flood mitigation.”
The Budget will deliver $65 million to start the $790 million Cooroy to Curra (Section A) upgrade.
Mr Emerson said the Newman Government had also used this Budget to refocus the QTRIP to fast-track flood recovery works over the next two years as part of the $10.3 billion program.
“This investment is an increase of almost $2 billion on the funding contained in Labor’s last QTRIP,” he said.
“We are currently out to tender on more than $276 million of work as part of our recovery from ex-Tropical Cyclone Oswald.
“There is also $72 million for Roads to Resources, including the start of on the Toowoomba Ring Road and Townsville’s Blakey’s Crossing.”
Highway funding in QTRIP for 2013-2014 includes:
· Bruce Highway: $690 million
· Barkly Highway: $2.8 million
· Capricorn Highway: $28.4 million
· Warrego Highway: $315.8 million
· Carnarvon Highway: $79.6 million
· Cunningham Highway: $125.5 million
· Dawson Highway: $62.5 million
· Flinders Highway: $66.8 million
· Peak Downs Highway: $17.9 million
· Kennedy Highway: $38.4 million
· Landsborough Highway: $138.5 million
· New England Highway: $19.1 million
· Pacific Motorway: $123.1 million
Action on road safety
Community engagement and education will be the cornerstone of the Newman Government’s two-year $350 million plan to tackle a rising road toll.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the 60-point Queensland Road Safety Action Plan would target Queensland’s road toll, which had 17 more fatalities than the same time last year.
“This budget delivers the results of our 12-month review of road safety in Queensland and a plan to tackle the rising number of fatalities,” Mr Emerson said.
“It includes $2 million a year for a community road safety fund to assist with developing solutions to local road safety issues, $1.6 million over three years to expand an alcohol and risk-related trauma injury awareness program and $480,000 over three years to educate Queensland high school students of the risks involved with vehicles.
“This budget spends a record $82 million on the Safer Roads Sooner program to fast-track the rollout of proven safety treatments such as wider centre lines, audio tactile line markings, safety barriers and improving intersections and line markings.
A further $2 million per year will also be spent on cycle safety treatments including line markings at higher-risk locations to reduce the potential for vehicle and bicycle conflict.
“We will also begin calling for nominations to review speed limits on up to 100 roads across Queensland.”
The Road Safety Action Plan also includes other Newman Government priorities such as:
- On-going roll out of flashing lights at over 300 schools.
- A $19.8 million three-year marketing campaign to change driver behaviour toward the Fatal Five.
- Reforms to licensing for younger and older drivers, and motorcyclists.
The action plan is funded through the Department of Transport and Main Roads and the Camera Detected Offence Program (speed and red light cameras).
The Road Safety Action Plan will be available at www.tmr.qld.gov.au later today.
SEQ bus review recommendations accepted
The south east Queensland bus review has been completed, following three-rounds of community consultation.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson has accepted the Brisbane City Council’s recommendations and said they would be included with the implementation report for the network’s 13 other operators.
“I’ve accepted council’s recommended changes and they will now implement the changes which will ensure they can meet the long-term budgets and remove the upward pressure that contributed to on-going 15 per cent fare increases under the previous government,” Mr Emerson said.
“The review will also see better services outside Brisbane, including the first three high-frequency services on the Gold Coast.”
The Newman Government will provide $353.6 million to fund bus services across south east Queensland next year, in addition to fare revenue.
As previously budgeted, Brisbane City Council will receive $155 million after fares with growth in state funding of four per cent a year.
The entire review comprised of 14 bus operators, eight councils, with a population 2.5 million and more than 120 million public transport trips a year.
A dedicated online resource will be available from Monday on the TransLink website to track the implementation progress of the bus review.
“Council and TransLink will now move to implement the recommendations and keep passengers informed and updated through public information sessions and website updates,” Mr Emerson said.
“As we progress through implementation we will provide regular updates with the latest news in each region, including specific information on matters such as implementation dates when this becomes available.”
Safety first ahead of Fatality Free Friday
Motorists should be thinking safety first when they step into their car for tomorrow’s Fatality Free Friday.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson and Police Minister Jack Dempsey said the month-long campaign for a pledge to drive carefully has highlighted road safety across the state.
“Last year, Fridays were the worst days for fatalities in Queensland, however there were no deaths on our state’s roads on Fatality Free Friday,” Mr Emerson said.
“This year we’re aiming to match that in Queensland and for there to be no deaths on Australian roads.
“Earlier this month we launched the Fatality Free Friday campaign at Parliament House and sent off two life-sized inflatable cars for a tour of the state.
“Already this year 128 lives have been lost on Queensland roads, and many of those could have been prevented.
“This year’s event also highlights the dangers at level crossings, so I urge all road users not to gamble with their lives when there’s a train crossing – it’s just not worth the risk.”
Mr Dempsey said Fatality Free Friday was about ensuring all Queenslanders had a safe day on roads across the state.
“I ask that all drivers take care whenever they are behind the wheel and take note of the Fatal Five – do not drink drive, do not speed, wear a seat belt, do not drive distracted and do not drive fatigued,” Mr Demspey said.
“Police are always on Queensland roads on the look-out for those who are driving recklessly or disregarding the road rules.
“The message is simple, if you do not obey the road rules, you will get caught.”
The pledge cars covered almost 7,000 kilometres and visited 11 different regional centres throughout the state from Toowoomba up to Cairns, and inland to Mount Isa. Anyone who is yet to make the pledge can visit the official Fatality Free Friday event at the Queen Street Mall tomorrow morning or go to www.fatalityfreefriday.com.au.
Building industry regulator overhauled
The Newman Government will set up a new independent Queensland Building and Construction Commission to replace the Queensland Building Services Authority as part of the biggest change to the industry regulator in 22 years.
Housing and Public Works Minister Tim Mander said the Government had released a 10-point action plan to reform building regulation in response to 41 recommendations handed down by last year’s Parliamentary Inquiry.
“As one of the four pillars of economic growth in Queensland, the Government is committed to a strong building and construction industry and this action plan provides solid foundations for the industry to flourish into the future,” Mr Mander said.
“The initiatives outlined in the action plan will reform the supervision of the building and construction industry and will be implemented progressively.
“I expect the new Commission will be established by the end of 2013 with a professional governing board and Commissioner in place shortly after that.
“The new governing board will have real control over the future direction and performance of the Commission and will report directly to me.”
The Commission structure will include licensing, dispute resolution and Home Warranty Scheme management divisions which will be completely firewalled from each other to improve governance.
Mr Mander said an independent review panel of industry experts helped him develop the Government’s response, which focused on getting the balance between consumers and contractors right.
“Initiatives include reforms allowing rapid dispute adjudication during construction and more focus on the certification process to reduce the number of defects and disputes referred to QCAT,” he said.
“Other key initiatives include reviewing the licensing and compliance arrangements for contractors as well as developing an improved suite of domestic building contracts to ensure a balance between the interests of consumers and contractors is maintained.
“The reforms will encourage enhanced education for consumers entering into a contract for building or renovating a home, with specialist material developed to support this ongoing customer education.
“The Commission will be retaining the Home Warranty Scheme but will look at ensuring greater clarity on the Scheme’s coverage for industry and consumers.”
Details on the Government’s 10-point action plan and copies of the Government’s Response to the Parliamentary Inquiry will be available on the Queensland Parliament website.
Page 1 of 32<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>